St. Kate's creates new dance series for fall 2010
The O'Shaughnessy at St. Catherine University has created "Snapshots: Reflections of Women" to promote the work of choreographers and dance-theater creators in Minnesota.
The theme chosen for "Snapshots: Reflections of Women" is pioneers. Selected dance works will be featured in two performances Sept. 17–18 and will kick-off the 2010-11 O’Shaughnessy dance series.
Designed as a catalyst for the artists chosen to create a new work, "Snapshots: Reflections of Women" is currently seeking applicants from a full range of styles, cultures, aesthetics and approaches that represent traditional and contemporary dance in the world today.
Constructed in the early 1970's, The O'Shaughnessy is one of the Twin Cities premier production and performing spaces. It received a face-lift in 2003, with upgrades to the auditorium's main floor carpeting, seating, lights and dressing rooms.
The O'Shaughnessy, with its 1,815 total seats, features a moveable George Izenour-designed ceiling that can be dropped to mask the balcony and create an even more intimate performance space (650-720 seats).
Its proscenium stage has a Bio-Cushion II® sprung dance floor with optional Black Harlequin® or Black Stage Step Timestep tap floors and extensive lighting system to enhance dance performances.
For artists interested in applying
A University panel comprised of staff, faculty and students will review submissions. Artists should submit the best quality representation of their choreographic work:
- Select a minimum of two and maximum of four works (preferably work created within the last one to two years).
- Acceptable media forms are videotape (VHS) and DVD. Total submission length not to exceed 12 minutes.
- With a VHS, the samples to be viewed must either be at the beginning of the tape or the tape must be cued to the selection.
- With DVDs, the submitted work must either be at the beginning of the DVD or in a separate chapter, or the only work on the DVD. If there are separate works on a single DVD, each work must be in a separate chapter and clearly marked.
- Work samples must be ready to be viewed by the panel upon submission.
- Submissions may consist of a mix of different works or one continuous selection. If you include edited sections, you should allow each to unfold enough to give a sense of how your choreography develops.
Applications must be received or postmarked: June 15, 4 p.m.
Send completed application package along with a self-addressed, stamped mailer for the return of work samples to:
Reflections of Women
St. Catherine University
2004 Randolph Avenue F-24
St. Paul, MN 55105
Selected participants will be announced July 1.
Performances are scheduled Sept. 17-18.
For application form and more information, e-mail Allison Cole or call 651-690-6481.
See also: Arts