Spirit of St. Kate’s Student Video Contest winners announced!
Vice President for External Relations Marjorie Mathison Hance awarded four cash prizes to student winners in the "Spirit of St. Kate's" student video contest in ceremonies prior to SKAT’s film screening Wednesday evening, April 11.
The contest attracted 22 entries from a variety of individuals and student groups who expressed their “Spirit of St. Kate’s.” All entries were required to contain some visual—apparel, logo, signage—of St. Catherine University or the text—“St. Catherine University” or “St. Kate’s.” Judges awarded prizes based on creativity, visual appeal, appropriateness, depiction of the University and use of the University’s logo or text in the entry.
The $3,000 first place award went to Lauren Beadnell for her video, "Be A Katie.” Judges praised the video for its cohesive storytelling concept and use of visuals. (Right, Vice President for External Relations Marjorie Mathison Hance presents the first-place award to Lauren Beadnell on Wednesday.)
The $2,000 second place award was given to Sarah Ager for her video, "Fabulous Katie Spirit!" Judges liked its energy, humor and message of inclusiveness.
The $1,000 third place award was presented to Sierra Stewart for her video, "ASL.” Judges appreciated the unique viewpoint it showcased and the enthusiasm of video participants.
An additional honorable mention award of $500 was made to Carly Kryzer for her video, "This Little Light Of Mine.” Judges praised its unique perspective and the heartfelt, personal story-telling style.
Fan favorite awards
In addition, videos were named" Fan Favorites" in six categories:
- Ali Salmanpour, Bee Vang, Nabil Shuna professed their love for St. Kate’s to a percussive edgy beat to win the fan favorite award for "Best Music."
- Alison Larkin and Colleen Royce earned the award for "Most Heartwarming" video entry for "Proud to be a Katie."
- Laura Oberg-Hauser earned the fan favorite "Funniest" award for her video, “Things Katie’s Say.”
- Sarah Ager’s upbeat video, “Fabulous Katie Spirit,” won the fan favorite award for "Best use of the St. Catherine University brand/logo."
- Tracy Sitterley’s video, “The Collection” earned the "Most Creative" award.
- “We’re Katies and We Know It” earned Molly Quigley and Mary Vollmar the award for "Best School Spirit."
Winners received passes to Nickelodeon Universe at the Mall of America, tickets to the Katwalk fashion show in The O’Shaughnessy, "Shout Out St. Kate’s Day" t-shirts and other prizes.
Judging the video entries were:
- Marjorie Mathison Hance, vice-president for external relations, St. Catherine University
- Amy Gage, director of marketing and communications, St. Catherine University
- Joshua Haringa, assistant professor, communications studies and electronic media studies departments, St. Catherine University
- Marc Conklin, scriptwriter/filmmaker
- Lisa Grimm, digital brand manager at Mall of America
- Rebecca McDonald, BFresh Photography
The University’s Division of External Relations launched the “Spirit of St. Kate’s” student video contest as a component of “Shout out St. Kate’s Day” Wed., Feb. 29. Those who assisted Project Managers Marta Zweber and Julie Michener to reach students and faculty included:
- Brigette Marty, associate director, student center and activities department
- Joshua Haringa, assistant professor, communication studies and electronic media studies departments
- Michael Baynes, associate director of student life, Minneapolis campus
- St. Kate’s Activities Team
- Office of Global Studies
- Office of Student Affairs
- The O’Shaughnessy